When building a home, there are different types of home building process activities. The selection of home builders depends on what kind of projects they handle. You can find different types of home building companies in your nearby area that handle different projects according to their expertise. We have highlighted some parts of the process to understand the roles of both production and custom home builders, which will make it easy for you to select the right home builder for your needs.
Custom Home Builders Process:
- They build one kind of house according to your wishes.
- They make plans to build a new home and designs to build unique houses every time.
- The homeowner owns the land, which new home builders customize and give a totally new shape.
- New home construction builders generally build single-family homes.
- These new home builders generally build 25 to 30 residential homes per year.
- Most of the times, custom home builders’ construct more expensive homes. So when do you need a custom home builder for your house? You can find out here: Reasons to Hire a Local Custom Home Builder in MA
Production Home Builders Process:
- A production homebuilder generally constructs townhouses, condos, houses, and rental properties on land.
- They generally construct larger homes every year.
- The purpose of building a home is to sell a home unit to every individual homeowner.
- Production home builders always consider entry level, move-up, or luxury price points before starting the construction process.
- A production home builder is known for capability of handling a dwelling of the same size for a lower amount of money.
Checklist for Hiring the Right Home Builder
- The best start is to get a list of member builders from your local or regional homebuilders association. Get recommendations from family, friends, and business associates. You can even ask the new homeowners. They may be happy to share their thoughts on their builders.
- Find out about a new home builder’s company history and background in detail. The company should be well-established with a permanent office to reach in case of emergency.
- Meet with the builder and ask about their previous work. A well-established new home builder company will proudly tell you about their successful projects or will even provide you with references or a portfolio. They should always welcome your questions related to construction plans and process.
- Always read bids and contracts carefully. A low bid indicates that the new home construction company takes shortcuts with construction or materials. Check if that company is licensed if in case your state carries that law. For a more comprehensive checklist, check out this post for more details: Things to Consider when Hiring a New Home Building Contractor